Sunday, October 10, 2010

Guestroom Makover with lil help from a Friend!



Some of you may remember the guest room I started working on with the inspiration from a bedspread/quilt made for me by my Mother. 
Well it came to a stand still for awhile until recently when
Dawn from
Cottage State of Mind 
happened to notice from a snippet of the quilt in a prior post and said
"hey I have some of that same fabric"
and that she basically hadn't figured out what to do with it yet.

Well, it turns out that I had an excellent idea for it !!

 I had been thinking that I really needed some
matching pillow shams to go with that quilt that my had Mom made for me.
See...
I had even called Mom to see if she had any leftover fabric, but unfortunately she
didn't, and of course it was no longer available in the store as well. 

So after reading Dawn's comment I sent her an e-mail to inquire about her fabric and told her the story about the quilt, that needed shams.  
and offered to buy the fabric if she wasn't going to use it.

Her being the sweet gal that she is, came right to the rescue and said,
  "You can have it"!
"I'd much rather see it go to good use than sit around here another couple of years"! 

I wasn't in any hurry for it either,
but she jumped right on it and it was at my door the next day!!! 
I was stunned!!
YOU are such a ANGEL Dawn! 
... and I'm ordering you a lil thank you gift for being SOOO SWEET!

I got the shams all made and then I transformed a seat cushion with an embroidered crewel design into a throw pillow...
Much better don't ya think?!

The seat cushion was a T/S find for a $1.50!  I took it apart removed the old worn out stuffing, washed it by hand then cut it into a rectangle and sewed and restuffed it with new pillow batting!

I also found an incredible floral arrangement at a local T/S for under 5 bucks!! 
All it need was a little sprucing up.

I cleaned up the flowers and then layered on a little acrylic paint antiquing medium with a sponge to the planter,
 followed by a little beige and and off white paint to bring out the design.
Here it is after... on top my antique trunk, along with some other pretties I shopped around the house for!

Like everything in my house... this room is it's still a work in progress!! 
 I hope you enjoyed the tour for now though!

Thanks again to Dawn for her generosity and inspiring me to get back to doing the things I love most!!

Hope you are having a nice weekend! 

Love you all!!  Hugs and kisses!! 


Hey,  I took this photo in the bathroom...
So does that qualify me to be a Bathroom Diva too?!
Guess I'd better give a shout over to Sheila at NoteSongs to see!!
Sherri ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri!! Happy Birthday and yes yes yes! This definitely qualifies you to be a Diva!! This is wonderful. I like to wait and see if someone else snaps for me so I can have more than one crowning, but if I don't I'll post about you. Don't worry, I'll let you know when I have up the post.
I'm having a blog party - Heart of the Home Part on Wednesday and would love to have you come. You don't look a day over 30 and I love your bedroom and how sweet of your blog friend to send you the fabric!!
Thanks for popping in to see me and thank you so much for snapping for me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Gypsy Heart said...

YOU, my friend, are a Diva of the Highest Order! Great pic ~

You are so fortunate to find that fabric and yes, she was an angel to send it to you. The room looks so beautiful! Love what you did what that pillow, the flowers, vase, etc. Quite creative!

Have a very Happy Birthday! Wishing you many more and lots of laughter along the way.

xoxo
Pat

Dawn said...

The room looks great Sherri! I can't believe what you did with that old cushion. The new pillow you made with it looks like a million bucks!

Happy Birthday you darling daring bathroom diva!
Dawn

Blog Widget by LinkWithin